(last updated 10/16)
1. Acceptance of Terms. We make the Website available subject to this Agreement. By accessing or using the Website, you agree to the terms of this Agreement. If you do not agree to this Agreement, you may not access or use the Website. We may update or make changes to this Agreement from time to time and we may provide you notice of these changes by any reasonable means, including by posting the revised version of this Agreement on the Website. You can determine when we last updated this Agreement by referring to the “last updated” legend at the top of this Agreement. Accessing or using the Website following changes to this Agreement will constitute your acceptance of those changes. When accessing or using the Website, you are also subject to any additional posted guidelines, rules, terms, and conditions applicable to the Website or any particular content or functionality available through the Website, which additional guidelines, rules, terms and conditions are hereby incorporated by reference into this Agreement.
2. Jurisdictional Issues. The Website is controlled and operated from the United States, and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country, or territory other than those of the United States. We do not represent or warrant that the Website or any part thereof is appropriate or available for use in any particular jurisdiction other than the United States. In choosing to access and use the Website, you do so on your own initiative and at your own risk, and you are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules, and regulations. You are also subject to United States export controls and are responsible for any violations of such controls, including any United States embargoes or other federal rules and regulations restricting exports. We may limit the Website’s availability, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area, or jurisdiction that we choose, at any time and in our sole discretion.
3. Description of Services. We provide users of the Website with access to general information, as well as services relating to us, including, without limitation, (a) information such as newsletters, legal updates, articles, attorney profiles, event details, videos, photos, text, data, and similar content; and (b) services such as event registration, subscription management, research tools, video players, and links to third-party websites (such information and services collectively, the “Services”).
4. No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship. WHILE THE INFORMATION ON THE WEBSITE MAY CONCERN LEGAL ISSUES, IT IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. MOREOVER, USE OF THE WEBITE IS NOT INTENDED TO CONSTITUTE, AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE, A SOLICITATION FOR THE FORMATION OF AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP; AND NO ATTORNEY- CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE. FURTHERMORE, NEITHER YOUR RECEIPT OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE WEBSITE NOR ANY E-MAIL OR OTHER COMMUNICATION SENT THROUGH THE WEBSITE WILL CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, AND NO SUCH E-MAIL OR COMMUNICATION WILL BE TREATED AS CONFIDENTIAL. YOU SHOULD NOT ACT OR REFRAIN FROM ACTING ON THE BASIS OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE WEBSITE WITHOUT SEEKING ADVICE OF COUNSEL IN THE RELEVANT JURISDICTION. WE, AND OUR EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, AFFILIATES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, LICENSORS, SUPPLIERS, AND SERVICE PROVIDERS (COLLECTIVELY, “AFFILIATED ENTITIES”) EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO ACTIONS TAKEN OR NOT TAKEN BASED UPON ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE WEBSITE. ANY VIEWS EXPRESSED IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE SHALL NOT BE ATTRIBUTED TO PARELLA FIRM AND ITS AFFILIATED ENTITIES, AND ITS AND THEIR ATTORNEYS AND CLIENTS.
6. Rules of Conduct. While using the Website you will comply with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations. In addition, we expect users of the Website to respect the rights and dignity of others. Your use of the Website is conditioned on your compliance with the rules of conduct set forth in this section; your failure to comply with such rules may result in termination of your access to and use of the Website. You agree that you will not:
7. Accuracy of Information. We attempt to ensure that information on the Website is complete, accurate, and current. Despite our efforts, the information on the Website may occasionally be inaccurate, incomplete, or out of date. We make no representation as to the completeness, accuracy, or currentness of any information on the Website.
8. Registration; User Names and Passwords. You may be required to register with the Website in order to access certain functionality or areas of the Website. With respect to any such registration, we may refuse to grant you, and you may not use, a user name (or e-mail address) that is already being used by someone else; that may be construed as impersonating another person; that belongs to another person; that personally identifies you; that violates the intellectual property or other rights of any person; that is offensive; or that we reject for any other reason in our sole discretion. Your user name and password are for your personal use only. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and must not transfer your password or user name, or lend or otherwise transfer your use of or access to the Website, to any third party. You are responsible for all interaction with the Website that occurs in connection with your password or user name. You must immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or user name or any other breach of security related to your account or the Website, and to ensure that you “log off”/exit from your account with the Website (if applicable) at the end of each session. We are not liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with any of the foregoing obligations. Users under the age of 13 are not permitted to register with the Website. Please do not register with the Website if you are under 13 years of age. By registering with the Website, you affirm that you are over the age of 13.
9. Changes to the Website. We may, at any time and with or without notice, temporarily or permanently modify, suspend, or discontinue the Website in whole or in part; charge fees in connection with the use of the Website; modify and/or waive any fees charged in connection with the Website; and/or offer opportunities to some or all users of the Website. You agree that we are not liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension, or discontinuance of the Website, or of any content, feature, or service offered through the Website. Your continued use of the Website after such changes will indicate your acceptance of such changes.
10. Submissions. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you may possess in any information, content, and/or materials that you submit to or through the Website (each, a “Submission”). Please note, however, that we need certain rights to your Submissions to be able to make them available on the Website. Accordingly, you hereby grant to us a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers), royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license, without compensation to you, to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt (including to edit, modify, translate, and reformat), create derivative works of, transmit, publicly display, and publicly perform such Submissions, in any media now known or hereafter developed. This license is non-exclusive (so you can license your Submissions to others), worldwide (as the Internet is global in its reach), fully paid up and royalty-free (so that we do not have to pay you for posting your Submissions), sublicenseable through multiple tiers (so that we can use our service providers and subcontractors to provide Services). For each Submission, you represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to grant the licenses granted in this section, and that such Submission complies with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations. You further irrevocably waive any moral rights” or other rights with respect to attribution of authorship or integrity of materials regarding each Submission that you may have under any applicable law under any legal theory. We require this waiver to help ensure that we have all the rights we may need to provide the Services available through the Website. We may determine in our sole discretion whether or not to exercise any right granted to us under this Agreement, and we will have no obligation to (a) use or otherwise exploit any Submission, or (b) include any Submission on the Website or in any other materials. If you make any comments or suggestions to us or any Affiliated Entity with respect to the Website or any Services that we or any Affiliated Entities provide (“Feedback”), then, notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, you hereby assign and agree to assign to us all right, title and interest in and to the Feedback.
11. Monitoring. We reserve the right (but have no obligation) to do any or all of the following, at our discretion: (a) monitor Submissions; (b) alter, remove, or refuse to post or allow to be posted any Submission; and (c) disclose any Submissions, and the circumstances surrounding their transmission, to any third party in order to operate the Website, to protect Parella Firm, the Affiliated Entities and their respective employees, officers, directors, shareholders, affiliates, agents, representatives, licensors, suppliers, and service providers, and the Website’s users and visitors, to comply with legal obligations or governmental requests, to enforce this Agreement, or for any other reason or purpose.
12. Our Proprietary Rights. The information, content, and materials made available through the Website are and will remain the property of Parella Firm and its licensors and suppliers, and may be protected by copyright, trademark, patent, and other proprietary rights and laws. Subject to your compliance with this Agreement, you may access and use the Website unless and until we terminate your use or access. Except as expressly authorized in advance by us in writing, you may not reproduce, modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute, or create derivative works based (in whole or in part) on all or any part of the Website or any information, content or materials made available through the Website. All trademarks, service marks, trade names, and logos on the Website not owned by us are the property of their respective owners. You may not use any of our trademarks, service marks, trade names, or logos in connection with any product or service that is not ours or in any manner that is likely to cause confusion. Nothing contained on the Website should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel or otherwise, any license or right to use any of our trademarks, service marks, trade names, or logos.
13. Links. The Website may provide links to other websites, blogs, and online resources. Because we have no control over such sites, blogs, and resources, you acknowledge and agree that Parella Firm and the Affiliated Entities are not responsible for the availability of such sites, blogs, and resources, and Parella Firm and the Affiliated Entities neither endorse nor are responsible or liable for any content, information, advertising, products, or other materials on or available through such sites, blogs, and resources. Other websites may have provided links to the Website with or without our authorization. You acknowledge and agree that Parella Firm and the Affiliated Entities do not endorse such sites, and are not and will not be responsible or liable for any links from those sites to the Website, any content, information, advertising, products, or other materials available on or through such other sites, or any loss or damages incurred in connection with any of the foregoing. YOUR USE OF THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES, BLOGS, AND ONLINE RESOURCES, INCLUDING YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT, INFORMATION, ADVERTISING, PRODUCTS, OR OTHER MATERIALS ON OR AVAILABLE THROUGH SUCH SITES, BLOGS, AND RESOURCES, IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IS SUBJECT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE APPLICABLE TO SUCH SITES, BLOGS, AND RESOURCES. We will have the right, at any time and in our sole discretion, to block links to the Website through technological or other means with or without prior notice.
14. Disclaimer of Warranties. THE WEBSITE AND ANY INFORMATION, CONTENT, AND MATERIALS MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE ARE PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY. YOU AGREE THAT YOU MUST EVALUATE, AND THAT YOU BEAR ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH, THE USE OF THE WEBSITE, INCLUDING ANY RELIANCE ON THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY INFORMATION, CONTENT, AND MATERIALS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE WEBSITE. PARELLA FIRM AND THE AFFILIATED ENTITIES DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE WEBSITE AND ANY INFORMATION, CONTENT, AND MATERIALS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE WEBSITE, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, AND TITLE.
15. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. PARELLA FIRM AND THE AFFILIATED ENTITIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHER THEORY, INCLUDING DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, USE, DATA, LOSS OF OTHER INTANGIBLES, LOSS OF SECURITY OF INFORMATION YOU HAVE PROVIDED IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, OR UNAUTHORIZED INTERCEPTION OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION BY THIRD PARTIES, EVEN IF ADVISED IN ADVANCE OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN PARTICULAR, AND WITHOUT LIMITATION, PARELLA FIRM AND THE AFFILIATED ENTITIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE WEBSITE OR FROM ANY INFORMATION, CONTENT, OR MATERIALS BY US OR ANY THIRD PARTY. YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE WEBSITE IS TO STOP USING THE WEBSITE. THE MAXIMUM LIABILITY OF PARELLA FIRM AND THE AFFILIATED ENTITIES FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, AND CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, WILL BE THE TOTAL AMOUNT, IF ANY, PAID BY YOU TO PARELLA FIRM TO ACCESS AND USE THE WEBSITE. While we try to maintain the integrity and security of the Website and the servers from which the Website is operated, we do not guarantee that the Website will be or remain secure, complete, or correct, or that access to the Website will be uninterrupted. The Website may include inaccuracies, errors, and materials that violate or conflict with this Agreement. Additionally, third parties may make unauthorized alterations to the Website. If you become aware of any unauthorized third-party alteration to the Website, contact us at SParella@parellalaw.com with a description of the material(s) at issue and the URL or location on the Website where such material(s) appear.
16. Indemnity. You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Parella Firm and the Affiliated Entities from and against all claims, losses, costs, and expenses (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of (a) your use of, or activities in connection with, the Website; or (b) any violation or alleged violation of this Agreement by you.
17. Termination. We, in our sole discretion, may terminate your access to or use of the Website, at any time and for any reason, including if we believe that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of this Agreement. Upon any such termination, your right to access and use the Website will immediately cease and the other provisions of this Agreement will continue and survive. You agree that any termination of your access to or use of the Website may be effected without prior notice, and that we may immediately deactivate or delete your password and user name (if any), and all related information and files associated with it, and/or bar any further access to such information or files. You agree that Parella Firm and the Affiliated Entities will not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your access to or use of the Website or to any such information or files, and will not be required to make such information or files available to you after any such termination.
18. Governing Law; Jurisdiction. This Agreement is governed by and will be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A., without regard to its principles of conflicts of law. You agree to exclusive jurisdiction of the federal and state courts located in New York, New York, U.S.A., and waive any jurisdictional, venue, or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
19. Contact Us. If you have any questions regarding the Website, please direct such questions to SParella@parellalaw.com. Please note that e-mail communications will not necessarily be secure; accordingly, you should not include any confidential or sensitive information in your e-mail correspondence with us.
20. Filtering. Pursuant to 47 U.S.C. Section 230(d) as amended, we hereby notify you that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software or filtering services) are commercially available that may assist you in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. Information identifying current providers of such protections is available on the two websites GetNetWise (http://kids.getnetwise.org/) and OnGuard Online (http://onguardonline.gov/). Please note that we do not endorse any of the products or services listed at such sites.
21. Claims of Copyright Infringement. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials available on the Website infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send Parella Firm a notice requesting that we remove the material or block access to it. If you believe in good faith that someone has wrongly filed a notice of copyright infringement against you, the DMCA permits you to send Parella Firm a counter-notice. Notices and counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA.
See http://www.copyright.gov/ for details. Notices and counter-notices should be sent to SParella@parellalaw.com. We suggest that you consult your legal advisor before filing a notice or counter-notice.
22. Ability to Enter Into This Agreement. By using the Website, you affirm that you are of legal age to enter into this Agreement or, if you are not, that you have obtained parental or guardian consent to enter into this Agreement.
23. Miscellaneous. This Agreement does not, and will not be construed to, create any partnership, joint venture, employer-employee, agency, or franchisor-franchisee relationship between you and Parella Firm. If any provision of this Agreement is found to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, that provision will be deemed severable from this Agreement and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provision. You may not assign, transfer, or sublicense any or all of your rights or obligations under this Agreement without our express prior written consent. We may assign, transfer, or sublicense any or all of our rights or obligations under this Agreement without restriction. No waiver by either party of any breach or default hereunder will be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default. Any heading, caption, or section title contained herein is inserted only as a matter of convenience, and in no way defines or explains any section or provision hereof. This, together with all policies referred to herein, is the entire Agreement between you and Parella Firm relating to the subject matter herein and supersedes any and all prior or contemporaneous written or oral agreements or understandings between you and Parella Firm relating to such subject matter. Notices to you may be made via posting to the Website, by e-mail, or by regular mail, in our discretion. The Website may also provide notices of changes to this Agreement or other matters by displaying such notices or by providing links to such notices. Without limitation, you agree that a printed version of this Agreement and of any notice given in electronic form will be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this.
Agreement to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form. Parella Firm will not be responsible for failures to fulfill any obligations due to causes beyond its control.